Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Canadian Civil War??

I have been talking with some friends lately about Gomery, federalism, et al, and a theme popped up which I hadn't considered, civil war. At first I chuckled. I mean, what would we fight with? We live in a virtual police state where guns are outlawed, knives are dull, kids can't ride an electric scooter, and we have confiscated all working baby walkers. We live in Safety Land, what in tarnation would we club each other with? But the more we threw this potato around, the more plausible it sounded.

With federalism all but dead in Quebec, (and in my small part of Ontario,) the chance of a strong Bloc win is pretty much a given, and with it comes a strong mandate, be it real or imagined, and if I were Gilles Duceppe, or any politician, I would strike while the iron is hot. The iron is not only hot in Quebec my friend, it is red hot. So, what to do?

Let's say that the Liberal party is vertually wiped out in Quebec, which again, is pretty much a certainty. Who will speak for the people? The Bloc Quebecois, and I can assure you, if they win with a huge majority, they will hold a referendum. It is inevitable. The latest polls show that the separatist movement is at 7 year high. Some polls put the separatist vote 6 points above a simple majority.

While Ottawa, and chiefly the Liberal party, has said that a simple majority would not be enough, most Canadians I think would side with Mr. Duceppe in saying that it is enough. Let's be fair, if a simple majority was all that was needed to join this tea party, then it should be enough to leave it. I don't think Mr. Martin and friends have the moral clout to go around saying that they won't have it. Not now. Not for a long time. Of course, Mr. Martin will not be in power in all likelihood. But that won't matter either, because Quebecers have had enough.

So, after a 'yes' vote, what then? Would Canada try to renegotiate confederation? A new constitution? Maybe we will go the way of the European Union, joined but apart. Who knows. But what if Quebec wants more than the rest of Canada can afford? Will we respect their right to self determination, or to try to get the best possible deal for themselves at our expense? I doubt it. Ottawa has never respected Canadians, not in my lifetime anyway, and I don't see it starting now. What about transportation through Quebec for the Maritimes, or shipping up the St. Lawrence, rail freight across their borders? What will be the tariff rate? I can not believe that there are enough good men in either Ottawa or Quebec to resolve these pressing issues in a timely or responsible manner. We haven't even broached the topic of pride. So what then?

Perhaps Ottawa would decide that Quebec belongs to us, that it is time that we asserted our right to that land, and that it will be taken back, by force if need be. Let's not forget a politicians desire to 'make his mark', or to leave a legacy. If it comes to that, let us hope that it is a Conservative prime minister, as the 'legacies' left by the likes of Trudeau and Mackenzie and other liberals have haunted us for long enough.

Having thought about it, we could very well be in the last days. For Canada, anyhow. Maybe I should buy a newspaper or something, maybe an atlas, so I can show my grandkids what it used to be like. I am still curious where either side will get it's weapons, and who'll get to use the girl guides? Hmm.

Having though about it, indeed. You know what, Quebecer's are the only smart ones left in this country. At least they know when they are getting screwed.

J.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home